Record Keeping

Record keeping

Good records and systems are the foundation of the integrity system.

LPA accreditation is your pledge that the meat from your farm has been produced safely, ethically and meets biosecurity requirements – it means you stand by what you sell.

When you tick the box on your LPA NVD, you are guaranteeing your on-farm practices meet LPA requirements, and ultimately customer expectations. Your tick must be backed up by accurate farm records.

How do I keep good records for LPA?

There is no perfect formula to record keeping. The LPA record keeping templates are used by many producers and include all details that must be recorded.

Some producers find that keeping clear notes in a diary works well, others use customised hardcopy record books or computer spreadsheets. Others keep their records within their farm management software programs. 

Regardless of the method, it is important that all relevant management activities are accurately and clearly recorded. 

Your LPA records will be reviewed by an auditor, should you be required to particpate in an LPA audit, so its important to make sure they are accurate and up to date.

Templates required to maintain your LPA Records


Participation in the LPA program is voluntary, but to access LPA NVDs you need to be LPA accredited. LPA NVDs are required by the majority of processors and saleyards, so if you intend to sell your livestock via these channels you will need to be part of LPA and keep the necessary records.   

If you choose not to be part of LPA you will need to comply with the movement documentation requirements for your state or territory that are accepted in place of an LPA NVD.  

NLIS is legislated in all States and Territories meaning all livestock movements must be recorded on the NLIS database, regardless of the size of your property or the number of animals on the property.  These movement records are stored on the NLIS database.  It is recommended but not compulsory, to have an NLIS account.  NLIS accounts are free.  Having an NLIS account allows you to check that transfers have been completed correctly and complete PIC reconciliations.

For all cattle, and for electronically ear-tagged sheep and goats, you can record a livestock movement on the database without an NVD/Waybill serial number. This is an optional field in the Livestock moved onto/off my property function.

Please note that, for EU-accredited cattle, failure to enter a European Union Vendor Declaration (EUVD) number will result in the animals losing their EU accreditation.

For sheep and goats with a visual tag, you will not be able to complete your mob-based movement on the database without an NVD/Waybill serial number.