Buying, selling, moving livestock

Buying, Selling and Moving Livestock

Each time livestock are moved off a PIC, a livestock movement must be recorded on the NLIS Database.

The information required to record a livestock movement varies depending on where the animals have moved from and to, and on the type of identification attached to the livestock. 

Recording livestock movements on the NLIS Database

  • If livestock are bought, sold or moved through a saleyard, the livestock movement must be recorded by the saleyard.
  • For private sales (i.e. sales and movements that do not take place via a saleyard), the buyer/receiver of the livestock must record the livestock movement.
  • The vendor/sender of the livestock is not obligated to record the movement off their property, although they may do so.
  • Abattoirs must record movements for all directly consigned livestock.

It is good practice to check all movement records to and from your PIC on the NLIS database, (especially those completed by a third party) to make sure the details are correct such as the ‘from’ and ‘to’ PICs and the total number of livestock transferred. 

Completing a PIC reconciliation annually is a recommended action for all LPA accredited producers, as NLIS records/transfers are included in LPA audits.  A PIC reconciliation allows transfer discrepancies to be identified and corrected.

For information on the timeframe in which livestock movements should be recorded on the NLIS, please contact your state/territory NLIS authority.

Access state and territory information for: obtaining a PIC, ordering NLIS devices, clarifying livestock movement and NLIS compliance requirements.

Variation between states and territories requires producers to be aware of what applies in their situation, especially when moving livestock across borders.

read more

Tools & Resources

Need NLIS Technical Support? 

If you're receiving warning emails, having issues with the NLIS database or are having trouble logging in, check out the support information available.

Read More


Participation in the LPA program is voluntary, but to access LPA NVDs you need to be LPA accredited. LPA NVDs are required by the majority of processors and saleyards, so if you intend to sell your livestock via these channels you will need to be part of LPA and keep the necessary records.   

If you choose not to be part of LPA you will need to comply with the movement documentation requirements for your state or territory that are accepted in place of an LPA NVD.  

NLIS is legislated in all States and Territories meaning all livestock movements must be recorded on the NLIS database, regardless of the size of your property or the number of animals on the property.  These movement records are stored on the NLIS database.  It is recommended but not compulsory, to have an NLIS account.  NLIS accounts are free.  Having an NLIS account allows you to check that transfers have been completed correctly and complete PIC reconciliations.

For all cattle, and for electronically ear-tagged sheep and goats, you can record a livestock movement on the database without an NVD/Waybill serial number. This is an optional field in the Livestock moved onto/off my property function. 

Please note that, for EU-accredited cattle, failure to enter a European Union Vendor Declaration (EUVD) number will result in the animals losing their EU accreditation.

For sheep and goats with a visual tag, you will not be able to complete your mob-based movement on the database without an NVD/Waybill serial number

You can use either visual NLISID numbers or electronic RFID numbers to record a livestock movement.

If you have visual NLISID numbers for your livestock, record their movements using the Mob-based movement onto/off my property function.

If you have electronic RFID numbers for your livestock, record their movements using the Livestock moved onto/off my property function.

You may be able to delete or correct an incorrectly recorded livestock movement, depending on the circumstances of the movement. See the Transfer correction Tech Tip for more information.